History of the Ecuadorian Peacekeeping Operations Unit & School
“Peace is the tranquility that proceeds to order and the unity of wills, it is the serenity where there are no conflicts, it must be founded on truth, justice, charity and freedom; arms, violence, excessive power and war simply threaten it.”
The United Nations Charter, signed on June 26, 1945 by the fifty (50) founding countries, considers in its first article, as the main task of this organization, “Maintaining Peace and International Security”.
Ecuador, as a signatory member of the United Nations since its creation, is deeply committed to the principles outlined in its Fundamental Charter.
Faithful to the conviction of being a country of peace, from 1952, Ecuador through its Armed Forces, has participated at the invitation of the United Nations in some Peacekeeping Operations, especially through the presence of Military Observers in different countries of the world, for the peaceful resolution of conflicts as well as the humanitarian assistance required at any moment by the parties in conflict.
Considering the national, regional and global context demands the participation of Ecuadorian soldiers in the accomplishment of peace operations, as well as the construction of a culture of peace, solid with the people, promoting respect for the rights and freedoms of human beings , Ecuador has the necessity that its Armed Forces have a well-structured Institute that plans, trains and assess the possibility of actively participating in the international area in the accomplishment of peace missions wherever in the world under the philosophy of the United Nations, with soldiers technically training to carry out those missions.
It was by order of the Minister of National Defense, on August 02 and 04, 1998, that began the elaboration of an ideal profile for the blue helmet soldier of peace and for the development of its skills, the creation of a “Training School” that perfects them in this area.
In 2000 year, it was prepared the first group of Ecuadorian PEACEKEEPERS, who later participated in the “CABAÑAS 2000” Peace Missions exercise which took place in the city of Córdova-Argentina Republic.
The Peacekeeping Operations School & Unit “ECUADOR” was founded on November 10, 2003, with the main objective to train military, police and civilian personnel in Peacekeeping Operations under ethical, moral and knowledge principles based on established standards in the United Nations Doctrine.
On September 29th, 2004, in New York City, the Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Mr. Gallegos Chiriboga-Extraordinary Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Ecuador to the United Nations and Mr. Jean-Marie Guehenno- Deputy Secretary-General for the United Nations Peacekeeping Operations, related to the contribution to the Peacekeeping Capability Readiness System (PCRS) of the United Nations Reserve Forces, to be employed when the UN requires it.
Subsequently, in October 15th, 2004, the Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Ecuadorian and Chilean Republic, where the commitment to contribute with a military contingent is established, to integrate a Combined Company of horizontal construction engineers (CHIECUENCOY), deployed in The United Nations Mission for Stabilization in Haiti (MINUSTAH), with this on December 8th, the Ecuadorian National Congress expressed its recognition to UEMPE, as an Institute of academic and professional excellence, awarded with the “DR. VICENTE ROCAFUERTE MEDAL OF MERIT”.
Nowadays UEMPE continues training the worthy representatives of Ecuador in the world for their participation and employment into field of Peacekeeping Operations.
There is a permanent working relationship with the different directions of the Joint Command of the Armed Forces, with the purpose of executing the annual planning for the training of the personnel that will be deployed to a mission, whether as part of a Contingent, Military Observer or United Nations Staff member.